Copy projects and change wall properties?

Diese Seiten wurden speziell für die Benutzer unserer Software installiert, um sich untereinander und mit uns, Informationen, Neuigkeiten, Bilder und Dateien auszutauschen. Egal ob Dietrich's Abbundprogramm oder DC-Statik, hier sind alle Holzbau Profis richtig. Natürlich auch die ohne Holzbausoftware ;)

Wenn Sie selbst aktiv werden wollen, melden Sie sich unverbindlich mit einem Benutzernamen und einem Passwort an. Klicken Sie hierzu auf der linken Seite den Punkt "Benutzerkonto erstellen" an.

Wir wünschen unseren Besuchern einen informativen und angenehmen Aufenthalt bei Dietrich's FIX

Ihr Team Dietrich's Online - Holzbau ist unser Programm

• Hello!

First question: If I have been drawing a house (not yet with timber in walls etc.) and then I change my mind about the wall properties or the roof properties for example. What happens if I go back to the wall properties and change something - a dimension of a post, thickness of wooden board or change an OSB with DWD - just for example?? Will the model be updated with the new wall properties? And the same for the roof.

Second question: For example: I am drawing a house and I want to make several variations of that house - different roof calculations, different facade boards etc. I want to have one project for each variant. For Autocad, I could just copy the file in Windows explorer and rename the file. But in Dietrichs it seems much more complicated, because You cannot find just one file for the project named "Thorvalds house, version 1.dwg" (or whatever the extension is) copy that and make a new file with the name "Thorvalds house, version 2.dwg" where you can make changes.... ???

Sincerely Yours. M. Sc. E. Thorvald, Denmark
    (Dietrichs version 7.03).

• Hi Thorvald

First question:

Wall properties relate to the wall volume and the slices that make it up - not to the timber components within it. So if, for example, you have a wall with a Slice 0 (the core slice) with a thickness of 150mm. You can easily update this property to have a Slice 0 with a thickness of 200mm, but this will not change any timber components within that slice. That would have to be done by applying a different HRB definition to the wall - this can get a bit tricky. Does that help? I'm not sure I have fully understood your question.

Second question:

The way to do this is to create all your variations in one project and have all the differennt variations as different positions within that project. So, for example save your first variation as position 001. Then create a new position (002) and when creating it base it on position 001 by hitting the Copy button and then selection position 001 as the reference. See the attached screenshot.

That way you get an exact copy of postion 001 and can change only the bits you need for your next variant.

HTH

Cheers

Rob

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi Thorvald,

Answer 2 is very simple, use 1-1-4 "save as...", then you get a comlpete copy of your building. (If you look at the filenames in the project directory, there will be files with 5 signs with project name + 3 signs with position name + various extensions.) But you need not to know about file names, the program does it for you.

Answer 1: just copy your project and try out whatever you want. You can make a lot of changes, and they will be accepted :)
    You will soon find, that this is a great benefit of this software!

• Hi!

Thanks for the answers, it helps... Rob Cullen: I will make the changes before I put timber i the wall, so that tricky thing You mention is not actual (yet).

Of course, after I have made some changes in the wall properties I should recalculate the roof calculation to get the correct overhang, etc.

• Ok - I have a new question related to this topic: Working with files. The file structure in Dietrich is way different from what you are used to. It is not possible to work with files in windows explorer - move files, copy files, rename files, overwrite files with new versions etc. - as You can do with autocad files, word files, excel files, etc. etc. To open files in Dietrich - as far as I can see - all the files should be in one location (I know you can work with folders there, yes), but you cannot "ctrl+O" and open files from anywhere on the computer or external harddrive or...

I think that is a huge disadvantage with dietrich. It is so difficult to work with files! Why it is so?

Well the question: I work with a house on the primary computer. I copy the files (project folder) to CD - and I work with the project at another computer and I make changes. Then how to do when I get back to the primary computer - how to overwrite the "old" file there, with the new version?? Do you understand my question?

• Hi Thorvald

I know what you mean, but I actually thinki it is an advantage not being able to open files directly from Windows as it avoids many potential problems.

Anyway, to your question. After you finish every session in Dietrich's you should always close the project and return to the main memu screen.

Within each project, there are a number of positions - as we discussed in one of your previous posts. If you highlight one of these positions and right click, a sub memu pops up and one of the options on this is to Pack . This will compress the position and enable you to copy it on to a CD etc and put it on another machine. Here you can use Windows and these packed up files have a .zgb file extension.

If you place the packed up file in the correct directory on the secondary computer you can unpack the position in the same way as you packed it - via the main menu. When you are finished on the second machine, simply repeat the whole process and unpack the revised position on your main machine.

Exacty the same process works for entire projects. This will pack up all the positions and, if you select the option to do so, all the drawings, lists, databases as well and these files have a .zd file extension.

I hope this clears it up a bit for you.

Cheers

Rob

Butch: " I think we lost 'em, d'you think we lost 'em?"
    Sundance: "No."
    Butch: "Neither do I."

• Ok - so it seems like it is not a very good idea to work in windows explorer...

But well: First time I copy projects from one computer to another computer with new Dietrich installation I don't need to pack the single positions or projects. So now I will just copy the folders on the CD into... ?

C:\DIETRICHS05\PROJEKT\ENG ?? or just C:\DIETRICHS05\PROJEKT ??

• Well I decided, that I prefer this: C:\DIETRICHS05\PROJEKT.

• Hi Thorvald

Really within the PROJEKT directory you should have a sub directory for each of your projects, otherwise this will get very confusing for you when you have many different projects. You can create new directories either within Windows or within the Dietrich's main menu.

Cheers

Rob

Butch: " I think we lost 'em, d'you think we lost 'em?"
    Sundance: "No."
    Butch: "Neither do I."

• Oh yes - I understand that part of it, and that is also what I do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi Thorvald,

in the picture you see the data structure of my projects. I decided to store all data on a separate harddisk, this is better for backup-routines and better for moving to another PC. My project numbers are always ymmxx (year-month-number_of_project). If you have this number at the beginning of the directory name, it will help to find them very quickly. At the end of this year all projects beginning with 6.... will be moved into DVD archive.
    I don't like data directories within a program path, so I collect all project data in my own structures. This project directory also contains word- excel- photo- cad- and other files. Every programm will find out it's own files immediately, if not, create some sub-directories.

You didn't know, you can use your own directories? Look into Dietrich's Menue: 5-3 (settings-paths) and set the correct switches and path names!

Dietrich's file names seem to be old and DOS-like, but often they are used by the program's intern filters. Therefore you must always have 5 project digits and 3 position digits. Storing every project into a group of files maybe unusual but it's working very fine!
    If you knew more about them, you would be able to split a project, work with 2 men at 1 project at the same time, and then copy the single files into the otherone's project. Caution: YOU MUST REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING! I already did so. I worked only in the upper floor while anotherone finished only the ground floor.

• Allright, I just realize that this topic is a little bit a mix "wall properties" and "file structure".... Well I hope it's ok.

Next question: If one have been drawing a house with external walls, internal walls etc - with some defined properties for the walls - what if you suddenly find out that you want to change the properties for the external wall for example. Maybe you want your posts to be 75x225 in stead of 45x200, because your engineer (me...) told you to... Then you want to change core slice from 200 to 225. (there is still not timber in the walls, just to keep it simpel). If I do so, nothing happens - so it is not possible?? The program don't update the model with the new properties??

I thought this software was excellent... ;)

Well of course - if the software doesn't update such changes - then there are ways out of it:
    1) Before you start drawing be sure your properties are as you want it to be.
    2) If you still have to make changes, then make a new grond floor plan, number 2, draw the walls with the changed properties on top of the old walls, and then delete the old walls.

I am very new in the world of Dietrich's so sorry if there are some possibilities I don't see yet - but I am very fast learning.... ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi Thorvald,

it's a great difference if you have the HRB-Editor (this is the German name) or if you have not. Every wall keeps the settings, with which it was created. If you want to change a wall, it is not enough to change the wall type. Better is, you create a new one and then give the new properties to the wall (using 3-01). The new type may have a different number of slices, and/or different thickness of slices. You decide, which part of the wall shall keep it's place: front, backside or reference axis. All changes are visible immediately in the ground walls.

So when you have no HRB-Editor, all beams will stay at the same place where you put them before. All new beams are relative to the new slices.
    But if you have the HRB-Editor (it's a really mighty tool), you can recalculate single or various groups of walls. In this editor you can set hundreds of switches, they can recalculate the whole building in a very short time by using new definitions.

My English is not good enough to explain it more detailed, but be sure, the program is very helpful especially if you change settings and wall properties!

• Well I have an HRB-folder, but I don't know if I have HRB-editor. But I think the way you describe to change wall properties by making a new wall property will work fine for me.

• Hi Thorvald

You said that you had no timbers in the walls, so the HRB editor is not important at this point.

If you right click on a wall in the Ground Plan module a menu pops up and the top item is Properties.

If you adjust the thickness of the core slice (or any slice for that matter) it will change the overall thickness of the wall by increasing the thickness of the slice (or slices) you have amended.

You are asked what line you want to keep and the the adjustment is made accordingly. So you can make the adjustment from the centre of the wall, the outside face, the inside face or the reference axis.

If you use menu item 3-01 in Ground Plan you can change the properties of many walls at the same time, as long as the all have the same properties to start off with.

HTH

Rob

• Ok - thanks for the answers - I will look at it. I have now tried the method to make a new wall property and change the walls one by one with that wall property - but if it is possible to change all walls with same property at one time, that method could also be convenient in some cases. - And the HRB- method could be convenient if one is almost finished drawing the house with timbers etc.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!