male-female processes

Diese Seiten wurden speziell für die Benutzer unserer Software installiert, um sich untereinander und mit uns, Informationen, Neuigkeiten, Bilder und Dateien auszutauschen. Egal ob Dietrich's Abbundprogramm oder DC-Statik, hier sind alle Holzbau Profis richtig. Natürlich auch die ohne Holzbausoftware ;)

Wenn Sie selbst aktiv werden wollen, melden Sie sich unverbindlich mit einem Benutzernamen und einem Passwort an. Klicken Sie hierzu auf der linken Seite den Punkt "Benutzerkonto erstellen" an.

Wir wünschen unseren Besuchern einen informativen und angenehmen Aufenthalt bei Dietrich's FIX

Ihr Team Dietrich's Online - Holzbau ist unser Programm

• Hi all,

I have a 12x12 sill beam embeded 2" into a 12x12 post. I have applied a 8x12x1" cut-out smart tag to the sill where it intersects with the beam as per the PNG file.

The only way I can think of to create the vertical saddle notch in the post is by using 2-7-1 "intersect"

However, I seem to remember it is possible to create the complementary notching to the cut-out process as a smart tag as well. (something like "creating female process from existing male process" or viceversa...)

Could someone remind me of how to achieve this? I am sure we went over it at the last user meeting, but i missed it somehow.

cheers,

• You can probably do it with a notch functions.... try that and let me know if you need help with it....

Jim Rogers
    Sneads Ferry, NC, USA

Version 23.01.4, 22.02.2, 20.02 13.04, 12.03, 11.06, 10.02, 9.05, 8.04, 7.03, and 5.05

• Hi Jim,

Thanks for your replay. I am sure I can use a number of processes to get the corresponding joinery in the post.

What I am wondering is if there is a way that given the smart tag I attached to the sill beam, some corresponding joinery will be created "automatically" in the post, or can I at least go into "single beam info" for the sill beam and create automatically the "complementary" joinery (male or female) and assign it to the post.

I seem to remember, from the users meeting, this was possible.

For example, when you use a tenon smart tag the mortise is created and attached automatically to the other timber, and if you move the tenon so does the mortise.

cheers,

i like building pianos

• If you connect a post to a sill with a tenon, the mortise is created in the sill as well. If you don't explode the joint then the mortise stays linked to the post and if you move the post the mortise will move with it.

If you convert the mortise into a number four function then it can be transfered to the post, and where every you move the post the mortise will go with it, and when reprocessed it will re-cut the mortise. That way you could place the post in the library and bring it back later.

To attach the mortise to the post you'll have to explode the joint and delete the mortise and then recreate it using a notch function. Then the notch/mortise can be transferred to the post as the notch is a #4 function.

It really depend on exactly what you want to do. If you want to be able to move the post in this current frame just don't explode the joint and it will stay linked to the current sill it is in. If you move that post out of that sill then the link is broken and you'll have to redo the tenon to a new sill.

If you want to put the post into the library for other frames then you'll have to link the mortise to the post by the method I mentioned above.

Jim Rogers
    Sneads Ferry, NC, USA

Version 23.01.4, 22.02.2, 20.02 13.04, 12.03, 11.06, 10.02, 9.05, 8.04, 7.03, and 5.05

• Hi Jorge,

from your picture it does not get clear how the connection is going to look like. In the picture I can only see the female process.
    Generally, you can achieve nearly every shape of connection by inserting auxiliary beams and use the notch and lap joint functions.
    If you have to do the same process several times it is normally easier to make a smartTag. In many cases you only need a smartTag for the male connection. After creating the male connection you can use its shape to "notch out" the female process.
    It really depends on what you want to achieve so I would propose that you give us a more detailed drawing/ sketch of the connection.

Best regards,

Jens

Jens Krause

• Hi both, Jim and Jens,

thank you for your replies. Here is a more detailed PNG file with the complete joinery for both the sill and the post.

I used a cut-out smart tag on the sill, and got the notching (what I call a saddle notch) on the post by "cheating" and using 2-7-1 intersect.

What I would like to know is: after having created the cut-out in the sill (for me much easier than creating the saddle in the post) is there a way that the saddle can be created automatically to complement and "be linked" to the sill cut-out (just like a mortise complements a tenon and is created automatically and linked to it)

If not, I guess since the saddle notch is the male process the question becomes: if a create the saddle notch first, can the corresponding cut-out be created automatically to "complement" and be linked to the saddle notch?

Jim, I am sorry, but I got confused when you mentioned number 4 processes. What are they?

Jens, unfortunately I don't have use of 3-2-6 Smart tag editor, but I thought using "single beam info" and some of the buttons (transfer, reproduce type, etc...) in it could do the job...

cheers,

• Thanks Jason,

nice video. It gives new ideas of how to approach creating joinery. One more question:

once that joinery has been created can I "copy and paste" it? Or should I start from scratch every time?

cheers,

i like building pianos

• Hi Jorge,

You cannot copy and paste processes but you can copy the beams to a new location, save it to the d-cam library or save it into the wall macro. When you have the same customized joinery on several beams in different locations then a smart-tag is normally the best option. Smart-tags are a group of process used to be created on a beam that are not parametric to another beam. If you use a smart-tag to create a tenon and another smart-tag to create the mortise, the joinery is not parametric.

To answer your previous question about #4 process, you can transfer #4 processes to an object, copy the object to other locations and then reprocess the beams. This is a very useful feature especially for metal connectors. You can read more information on page 6 of the advanced cad design tutorial. I also attached a short movie showing how to transfer drilling's to a metal plate. Once the drilling's are on the plate as a #4 process you can copy the plate to the desired locations and reprocess the beams.

• Thanks Jason,

I'll play around with the info you sent me and look at the advanced CAD design tutorial in more detail.

Cheers,

i like building pianos

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!